the css menu is not a problem

May 15, 2008

Vista Sliding Menu XML

Well I finally got the menu bar all set-up. There must be a bug in my
Dreamweaver program.

I went in and looked at my Active content converter and it was unchecked as
it should be. Just for the heck of it, I checked it and saved it, then went
in and unchecked it again and resaved it and then started from scratch.
After doing that everything worked fined. I was able to simply set-up the
menu bar and all the links tracked properly. Just to make sure it wasn't me,
I tried again from scratch and it would not work until I went through the
process of checking and unchecking the Active Content Converter???? Anyway
it works now and I am already to load it.

I love the way it looks and works BUT I am now having problems loading it
into my website.  So can you give me a step by step of how to replace my old
menu with the new one? I ask for your patience, though. Just to mention I
build my website myself and can move around Dreamweaver pretty well, but I
am self taught, so I am dangerous. There is a lot I know and can do, but
there are definite gaps in my knowledge. So consider me a newbie.

I set-up the page just like it says in your "Easy Steps for Newbie's"

So I have several files. I have a "Menu.swf", I have a "Menu.html" and I
set-up a "navigation.xml". I changed the xml_path in the Flash Element in
the Menu.html to the navigation file. But I just see a blank area where my
menu should be on my local site pages. I tried to follow your directions
that come with the menu but I am obviously doing something wrong.

2 things I am unclear on -

1) I am unclear on the Navigation.xml. Let me verify that when I opened up a
blank xml file and copied the "DIV id="menu" and I copy each line of the
entire menu and my links. Correct?  But nothing else that was in the HTML. I
have attached that file for you to look at.
I left line 1 in when you set-up a blank XML
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
- should that stay with the page?
I tried it both ways, with it in and out of the file. It mad e no
difference.

2) When in Dreamweaver, I test the menu bar by pushing f12 and every thing
looks good. The menu bar comes up with a white background and works
properly, but when I exit Dreamveaver and test the site pages locally, it
does not come up at all, the site page comes up with a blank spot where the
menu should be.

I moved the three files to my server, but nothing happens. I left them there
so you would be able to look at them.

You can see the Menu.swf at http://www.faithware.biz/Menu.swf
And the Navigation at http://www.faithware.biz/Navigation.xml
But the Menu.html will no show up at all.

I have attached all three files as well for you to look at.

SO I hope that helps you figure it out.
Can you give me a step by step instruction as to how to load it into my
website?

Thanks
Jeff Boardman
Faithware LLC
PO Box 250305
Milwaukee, WI 53225
414-840-4030
414-527-1703 Fax
jeff@faithware.biz
www.faithware.biz


Answer:


Hi,
I've checked your files, almost everything is correct.

You have only one mistake. The page is trying to load
http://www.faithware.biz/navigation.xml (navigation.xml)
not http://www.faithware.biz/Navigation.xml (Navigation.xml)

When you will copy the menu code to another pages, don't forget to
copy these three code snippets:

1. Script - <script src='ActiveContentSliding.js'></script>
(by default it is located in the head of the page).
2. Navigation settings - DIV id='menu'.
3. Flash object - DIV id = 'f-source-menu'.


About the XML questions.
Correct.  The code <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> makes no difference.


Regards
Dmitry
f-source.com

No comments: